Skip Navigation Links

Free Seller's Permit

📞 (888) 837-1407  
Skip Navigation Links
How It Works

Starting a(n) Business Licenses & Tax IDs
Hi, I'm   Do I Need A Permit To Sell Prepackaged Water Selling Bottled Water At Events Industry Insights The bottled water industry is a thriving sector, with global sales reaching a staggering $283.01 billion in 2022. It's no wonder you're considering diving into this refreshing business opportunity! Just imagine all the thirsty event-goers you'll be able to hydrate with...,  .

## Bottled Bliss: Launching Your Event Water Business The event industry is a $323 billion powerhouse, and staying hydrated is key for those energetic crowds [insert source about the size of the event industry]!  Do you dream of quenching thirsts and keeping the party flowing with your bottled water business? Let's navigate the legalities to ensure your business is crystal clear for success!

Licensing : More Like a Streamlined Path to Permits!

While navigating legalities might not be as exciting as a confetti cannon, it's crucial for your business. Here's why:
  • **Temporary is the Name of the Game:**  You'll likely be operating at various event locations. This means researching permit requirements for each venue you plan to service.  Permits might be needed for:    

  • Selling pre-packaged food or beverages (bottled water!).
  • Operating a temporary vending space.
  • **Business Basics:**  Registering your business name and obtaining a general business license is a must in most areas.
**Remember:** Don't be afraid to consult an event planner or a business advisor to ensure you have all the necessary permits for the events you target.

EIN: Your Taxpaying 

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is essentially a social security number for your business. While not mandatory for all sole proprietorships, it's a wise move for your bottled water business. Here's why:
  • Separate Finances:**  An EIN simplifies opening a dedicated bank account to track your business income and expenses from bottled water sales.   

  • Professional Image:**  An EIN projects a professional image and can be helpful when securing contracts with event organizers.   

  • Future Growth:**  If you plan on hiring assistants to help haul water coolers, you'll need an EIN to report payroll taxes.
**Remember:**  Obtaining an EIN is generally a free and relatively simple process.

Business Structure Bonanza: Choosing Your Bottled Bonanza Business Model

Now, let's talk about the oh-so-important business structure! This decision impacts your legal liability, taxes, and paperwork. Here are the main contenders:
  • **Sole Proprietorship:**  The simplest setup, but you're personally liable for business debts. Ideal for starting small with limited overhead.    

  • Limited Liability Company (LLC):  Offers personal liability protection, a wise move as your business grows or if you hire help. A good balance between ease of setup and security.
**Choosing wisely?** Consider your business goals, the potential for growth, and your risk tolerance.  

Cash Considerations: Counting Your Cool Capital

So, how much moolah do you need to get your event water business off the ground? Here's a ballpark estimate:
  • Startup Capital:**  $1,000 to $3,000 is a reasonable starting point. This covers essential equipment (cooler cart, water cooler dispensers, initial supply of bottled water), marketing materials (business cards, flyers), business license fees (if applicable), and permit fees (depending on the events you target).   

  • Ongoing Costs:** Factor in ongoing inventory purchases (bottled water!),  transportation costs (to and from events), and marketing expenses.
Remember, these are estimates. The actual cost will vary based on the volume of water you plan to sell, the type of cooler system you choose, and the frequency of events you service.

With a clear understanding of legalities, a chosen business structure, a reliable supply of refreshing bottled water, and a customer-focused approach, your event water business is poised to be a refreshing success! Remember to prioritize reliable service, high-quality water, and excellent customer service. May your business become the go-to source for hydration at every event, ensuring happy guests and a thriving business!

Sure thing! Selling bottled water at events is a fantastic idea—everyone needs to stay hydrated, especially during those fun yet sweaty gatherings. But before you dive in, let’s splash into the details of what you need to get started. Don’t worry, I’ll keep it simple and throw in some humor to keep things fresh!

Industry Numbers: The Water Wave

Did you know the bottled water industry is gushing with opportunities? It’s a multi-billion-dollar sector with Americans guzzling down over 14 billion gallons of bottled water annually. That’s enough water to fill 21,000 Olympic swimming pools! You’re diving into a market that’s always thirsty for more.

Capital to Start and Equipment Needed

Starting your bottled water biz at events isn’t just a walk in the park, but it's certainly more of a jog than a marathon. Here’s what you need to make a splash:
  • Initial Capital: You’ll need some upfront investment for your water inventory, coolers, branding, and a nifty stand or cart. Think a few thousand bucks to get the ball rolling.

  • Equipment: Coolers to keep the water chilled, a reliable transport method (van, truck, or even a bicycle cart if you’re eco-friendly and want to build those calves), and signage to attract thirsty event-goers.

  • Business Structure: LLC or S Corp?

    Choosing your business structure is like picking the right bottle size. Here’s the scoop:
  • LLC (Limited Liability Company): This is a great option if you want to keep your personal assets safe from business liabilities. It’s like a waterproof shield protecting your finances. LLCs are also flexible in terms of taxes and management.

  • S Corporation (S Corp): If you’re planning to have shareholders and want to potentially save on self-employment taxes, an S Corp could be your best bet. It’s like the premium, sparkling version of business entities, with a bit more complexity and fizz.
  • For most small businesses selling at events, an LLC is often the simpler, more straightforward choice. It keeps things nice and bubbly without too much fizz.

    Business Name Registration

    If you’re thinking of calling your venture something catchy like “H2Whoa!” or “AquaMania,” you’ll need to register that business name. This ensures no one else can surf on your creative wave and it’s your unique brand identity. It’s like putting your name on your water bottle to prevent mix-ups.

    Licenses and Permits

    You can't just splash into the market without the right paperwork. Here’s what you’ll need:
  • General Business License: This is your ticket to play in the business league, officially recognizing your business in the commercial world.

  • Sales Tax Permit: Unless you’re giving away water for free (which is very generous but not profitable), you’ll need to collect sales tax on your bottled beauties.

  • Health Permit: Since you’re dealing with a consumable product, ensuring your water meets safety and health standards is crucial. You don’t want your customers having anything but a refreshing experience.

  • Special Event Vendor Permit: Since you’re selling at events, you’ll need permission to set up shop and sell your product. It’s like getting a VIP pass to the business party.

  • What’s an EIN and Why Do You Need One?

    An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is like your business’s social security number. It’s crucial for:
  • Opening a business bank account.

  • Filing taxes (and keeping the tax folks happy).

  • Hiring employees (if you need extra hands to keep the bottles flowing).
  • Think of it as your business’s ID badge—it’s necessary for all official transactions.

    Ready to Dive In?

    Now that you’re armed with the essentials, you’re ready to dive into the refreshing waters of event-based bottled water sales. Remember, the key is to stay hydrated and keep your business legal and crisp.  🥤💧


    Industry Insights

    The bottled water industry is a thriving sector, with global sales reaching a staggering $283.01 billion in 2022. It's no wonder you're considering diving into this refreshing business opportunity! Just imagine all the thirsty event-goers you'll be able to hydrate with your crisp, delicious water. Plus, you'll be contributing to the ever-growing pile of plastic bottles in landfills – talk about leaving a lasting impact!

    Capital and Equipment

    To get your bottled water business flowing, you'll need some initial capital. The amount can vary depending on the scale of your operation, but let's say you're starting small. You'll need funds for:
  • Purchasing bottles and labels

  • Renting or buying a water filtration system

  • Acquiring a delivery vehicle (because hauling cases of water on your back is so last century)

  • Investing in a snazzy logo and marketing materials to make your water stand out from the competition
  • As for equipment, besides the filtration system and delivery vehicle, you'll need bottling machinery, storage facilities, and maybe even a fancy water testing kit to ensure your product is as pure as the driven snow.

    Licenses and Registrations

    Before you start selling your liquid gold, you'll need to get your legal ducks in a row. This includes:
  • Obtaining a business license to operate legally in your area

  • Registering your business name to protect your brand and prevent any pesky copycats

  • Getting an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which is like a Social Security number for your business, used for tax purposes and opening bank accounts

  • Considering forming an LLC or S Corp to protect your personal assets and enjoy some tax benefits (because who doesn't love a good tax break?)

  • Special Permits

    Selling bottled water at events may require additional permits, such as:
  • Health permits to ensure your water meets safety standards and won't turn your customers into zombies

  • Event-specific permits, which can vary depending on the type and location of the event (because you don't want to be the only vendor without a permit at the annual "Permits Are Cool" convention)

  • Environmental permits, because apparently, some people care about the impact of plastic bottles on the planet (who knew?)
  • Remember, while these licenses and permits may seem like a hassle, they're essential to running a legitimate and successful bottled water business. Plus, think of all the fun you'll have filling out paperwork and navigating the exciting world of bureaucracy!

    You can choose to be a(n) Selling Bottled Water At Events :

    • Sole Proprietor,
    • LLC,
    • Corporation or
    • Partnership.
      After you decide and select your business entity, you need licensing.

    Saint Louis Business Tax Registration ( Business License)
    All businesses including home, online or mobile BUSINESS need a BUSINESS license because they are BUSINESSES.

    A(n) Selling Bottled Water At Events business doing business under an assumed business name in St. Louis County i.e. you are a business with a trade name other than the owner's legal (full name) name are required to get a(n) assumed business name certificate.   E.g. you venture into a(n) Selling Bottled Water At Events business and you give it a trade name such as "Excellence Selling Bottled Water At Events & Associates". You will need to register an assumed business name certificate.

    In MO you need a resale ID ( AKA seller's permit) if you selling touchable items.  (A.K.A state id, wholesale, resale, reseller certificate, about $39 for most states).
    Seller's Permit

    Note: All businesses need a federal tax ID number except sole proprietors that are not employers and are not independent contractors.
    An independent contractor is a self employed business person that receives more than $600 per year from anyone of his or her clients.
    IRS rule: The client must issue a 1099 form to the independent contractor and the independent contractor must have a federal tax ID. However, even sole owners may obtain a federal ID and use it as a business tax ID instead of using their own social security number as a business tax ID number.
    However, all other licenses that apply to sole proprietors as discussed here are requited regardless of getting a federal tax ID number.

    In addition you will need a federal and a state EIN if you will hire employees. I.e., a MO Federal Tax Id Number ($29)  and a(n) MO  State Employer Tax Number  

    Instead of filing a fictitious business name DBA Filing (about $49 plus state and legal newspaper publication fees) in Saint Louis, Incorporate in MO  or form a(n) MO LLC

    You have a choice to file a DBA or form an LLC or incorporate. If you will do business under your first and last legal name you will not need to get a fictitious business name.
    Also note that even using your first and last name may not help you avoid filing a DBA if the name has a suffix such as "& sons" etc.

    If you do form an Other llc or incorporate (about $49 plus state fees for most states) your Selling Bottled Water At Events business instead of just filing a fictitious business name (dba), it will help you avoid personal liability from wrongs arising from your business dealings and you will not have to file the Saint Louis business name. In lieu of recording a St. Louis County trade company name (our filing service fee includes trade name registration and newspaper legal publication for 4 weeks) you can also form a corporation in MO or form an MO LLC (starts @ $49 plus state fee for most states & includes required documents such as bylaws for the corporation and Limited Liability operating agreement for the LLC). .